Ask anyone who has had acne before and they will tell you how challenging it can be to get rid of it. Today, there are many acne products available in the market – both prescription and over-the-counter. Figuring out a skincare routine to help you deal with your breakouts may not be as easy as it sounds.
While everyone has a different acne story, an effective product that almost always helps is an acne face wash. When you’re looking for the best acne face wash for adults, it’s important that you consider the ingredients used. Face wash products that have salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, or sulfur are always ideal as they work to decongest pores, shed off dead skin, and absorb excess oil.
In this guide, we’ll take a look at the best acne face wash for adults that you can find in the market today.
1.Restorsea Reviving Cleanser
The Restorsea Reviving cleanser is a good acne face wash for people of all skin types. It’s also a good option for anyone with sensitive acne-prone skin. This gel cleanser not only exfoliates the skin, it has vitamin C which helps brighten the skin.
- Works to deliver an even-looking, brighter, and glowing skin.
- Gently lifts off debris and dirt as well as removes makeup without stripping your skin of any essential oils.
- This product is free from sulfate.
- The ingredients are naturally derived, which means they are free from any harmful ingredients and chemical peptides such as parabens, mineral oil, PEGs, and phthalates.
- This cleanser is dermatologist tested, non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, and clinically tested.
- Deeply and gently cleans the skin, making it ideal for daily use.
- It has a nice smell.
- It can be used alongside other products in your skincare routine to achieve the best results.
- For excellent results, this acne face wash should be used twice daily.
- Has well-detailed usage instructions that make it easy to use.
- Comes in a nice bottle.
- It does not leave the skin dry nor does it have any burning sensation when used.
- It’s slightly expensive
2.Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Cleanser
Neutrogena is a reputable and trusted brand in the beauty industry. They have a myriad of products some of which complement each other to give you nothing but the best skin. The Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne cleanser is made primarily from natural ingredients such as chamomile and aloe vera.
- Helps fight and prevent future breakouts by removing spots right from their source.
- Besides fighting future breakouts, this cleanser also helps reduce any redness on the skin, leaving your skin feeling rejuvenated.
- One of the best cleansers that penetrate into the skin as well as cuts through any oil and grease.
- Works by targeting the problem areas on your face thanks to the infused salicylic acid that is perfect for fighting acne.
- The three major ingredients – chamomile, salicylic acid, and aloe vera – work together to reduce any redness and irritation on your skin.
- The formula used in developing this cleanser helps enhance this cleanser’s spot-fighting power while delivering the treatment needed by your skin.
- It doesn’t cause any dryness and is affordable.
- Excellent choice for people with greasy skin as it results in a skin tone that is clear.
- Has a creamy and smooth consistency making it super easy to use.
- Not suitable for people with delicate or sensitive skin.
3.The Tracie Martyn Amla Purifying Cleanser
The Tracie Martyn Amla Purifying Cleanser is a favorite for most fashion insiders and Hollywood celebrities. This face wash uses nothing but natural ingredients that are of high-quality. While it does more than just cleanse, it’s important to note that it comes with a high price tag.
- Excellent selection for those who are looking for a luxurious face wash.
- The infused salicylic acid works to fight any breakouts as well as cleanse deep down into your pores.
- This Tracie Martin acne face wash helps cleanse, exfoliate, and nourish the skin as well as remove makeup.
- Infused with Hawaiian green papaya enzymes that work as a natural exfoliant while the Ayurvedic Amla extract provides your skin with Vitamin C.
- It does not have any artificial fragrances, dyes, or petro-chemicals.
- Works well on most skin types thanks to the filler-free products that have been used to make this face wash.
- This product is vegan friendly as the Tracie Martyn brand does not test their products on animals.
- Quite an effective product that unclogs and minimizes pores, reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles as well as clear pimples.
- The infused salicylic acid works to ensure that your pores are clean as it cleanses deep down, all while fighting any breakouts.
- Comes in a small bottle and is costly.
4.EltaMD Foaming Facial Cleanser
Now, if you know that you have hypersensitive skin, the EltaMD Foaming Facial cleanser should top your list of considerations when looking for the best acne face wash for adults. This product integrates some solid ingredients that work to fight off acne.
- It is available in two different sizes.
- Perfect acne face wash for people with extremely sensitive skin.
- Has remarkably high ratings amongst users.
- This face wash is gentle, highly recommended by dermatologists, pH balanced, sensitivity-free, and oil-free.
- It’s unfused with bromelain, which helps reduce any inflammation that comes as a result of acne, while the apple amino acids help keep the skin hydrated.
- Free from sulfates, which tend to be aggressive surfactants that tend to leave the skin dry and wash away any healthy lipids and fats.
- Works well as a makeup remover.
- EltaMD has other products that work to complement this face wash, thus leaving your skin feeling rejuvenated.
- It’s a gentle face wash that cleanses and reduces any skin damage.
- The amino acid and enzyme integrated into this face wash help loosen any impurities and oil on the skin’s pores.
- Some customers have complained that it doesn’t foam well or remove makeup properly.
5.La Roche-Posay Effaclar 3-Step Acne Treatment
Another popular brand that makes excellent acne treatment solutions is La Roche-Posay. This product helps reduce acne within 10-days of use, with changes being noticeable on day one of use. Unlike other face wash treatments in our review, the La Roche-Posay Effaclar is a 3-step acne treatment.
- This La Roche-Posay product has been recommended by over 90,000 dermatologists globally for the treatment of acne.
- Given the Allure Best of Beauty award for three years in a row as the best acne treatment solution.
- Reduces about 60 percent of acne on the skin in 10 days even though visible results can be witnessed from day one.
- As a 3-step treatment, this solution includes an acne wash, toner, and cream that can last you up to two months of use.
- Helps remove blackheads.
- For best results, La Roche-Posay recommends using this treatment solution twice daily, starting with the acne face wash.
- It’s affordable for a 3-step treatment plan.
- It comes integrated with salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and benzoyl peroxide that are highly effective in fighting acne.
- This product is fragrance-, oil-, paraben-free, dermatologically tested on sensitive skin as well as non-comedogenic.
- If used in high amounts, it is likely to result in dry or itchy skin.
6.CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
CeraVe is another trusted brand that you can consider when looking to buy a highly effective acne face wash. In addition, this CeraVe product doesn’t have any actives, is quite affordable, and is suited for people with normal to oily skin.
- Specifically developed for people with normal to oily skin.
- It cleanses the skin without leaving it feeling dry, tight, or stripped.
- Dispenses nicely as a clear gel, which then changes into a foam as you continue to lather.
- This product has been developed using three essential ceramides – 1, 3, 6-II – that work to maintain and restore your skin’s natural barrier.
- CeraVe skincare products have been made with dermatologists, which can help guarantee their effectiveness.
- CeraVe has a wide range of products that are ideal for different types of skin, including acne-prone skin.
- This face wash is non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, non-irritating, and non-drying, meaning it can be used daily.
- Effectively and gently removes dirt, makeup, excess oil, leaving your skin refreshed.
- Although it’s a face wash, it can also be used on the hands or body.
- The ingredients used – hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and niacinamide – work together to maintain the moisture balance of your skin.
- It is affordable.
- Some users have complained that it causes their skin to break out.
7.Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Facial Cleanser
If you’re just getting started on your acne treatment journey and don’t want to spend a lot of money on a cleanser that might end up not working, you can consider getting this affordable option from Neutrogena. This face wash has a fresh scent and is perfect for sensitive skin.
- Neutrogena is a reputable and trusted brand in the skincare industry.
- It is affordable – costs four to six times less than some brands in our review.
- This face wash works by washing away oil, dirt, and makeup easily, leaving your skin feeling both clean and refreshed.
- It’s an all-in-one facial cleanser and makeup remover that cleanses your skin and removes waterproof makeup without leaving your skin dry.
- It’s a gentle face wash that is safe even for people with sensitive eyes. It won’t cause any stinging or irritation.
- Because it is non-comedogenic, it works without clogging pores.
- It is developed using glycerin and is dermatologist-tested.
- The formula used is not only oil-, alcohol-, and soap-free, but it is also hypoallergenic.
- It rinses nicely without leaving any pore-clogging residue behind.
- Comes from a skincare brand that is dermatologist-recommended, boosting user trust.
- Some users have complained that this face wash doesn’t foam despite being sold as a foaming face wash.
8.PanOxyl Acne Foaming Wash
The PanOxyl Acne Foaming wash comes infused with 10% benzoyl peroxide, making this an excellent choice for people with acne-prone skin. However, given the high percentage of benzoyl peroxide, it’s not suitable for novices unless advised by your doctor or dermatologist.
- The benzoyl peroxide ingredient works by controlling oil and killing any acne-causing bacteria.
- It’s comedolytic – meaning it reduces clogged pores and calms the skin – and is anti-inflammatory.
- This face wash is not only efficacious, but the formula used helps make it gentle on the skin.
- Boasts of being one of the highest over the counter benzoyl peroxide face wash available.
- It’s a maximum strength face wash that leaves your skin clean and fresh by gently lifting off dirt.
- Helps to clean as well as unclog pores on the face, back, and chest.
- Works to clear existing acne as well as prevent the formation of new blemishes.
- Recommended by dermatologists.
- It works amazingly fast, and changes can be visible after a few days of use.
- Quite efficient in helping clear cystic acne and is suitable for oily skin.
- Because of the high benzoyl peroxide used, it shouldn’t be used by novices as it can cause burning and redness.
Acne can make one lose their self-esteem. While there are various acne treatments, there is no one-shoe-that-fits-all solution. Though acne treatments don’t work overnight, having consistency and the right product can help you kiss your acne goodbye. An acne face wash is excellent as they help balance your skin’s pH.
When looking to buy an acne wash, it’s important to consider your skin type and type of acne. It’s also important to know how to use the face wash. While some brands recommend using their products once a day, others recommend twice. It’s crucial to find out what works for you as choosing an acne face wash involves some trial and error before you can find what works for your skin.