The good thing about chemical peels is that they’re able to address every or any complexion-related concern. Peels can help even your skin tone as well as clear pimples. They also have anti-aging benefits. While most people prefer professional chemical peels as they leave your skin smooth, bright, and zit-free, they have a history of being aggressive. They also tend to be expensive.
However, there are certain home-option chemical peels that you can consider if you don’t have the time and money to have a professional one done every so often. At-home face peels are not only significantly cheaper and faster than professional chemical peels, but they are also quite effective especially when used consistently as part of one’s skincare routine.
In this guide, we take a look at some of the best at-home chemical peels that you can get on the market today.
1.The Ordinary Peeling Solution
If you are just starting to use an at-home chemical peel and don’t want to spend a lot of money, this peeling solution from The Ordinary is a good choice. Made in the United States, it’s an excellent at-home peel option that can be used by both men and women.
- Both men and women can apply it.
- Infused with three types of acid: salicylic, glycolic, and lactic.
- The acids work together to exfoliate your skin, unclog pores, and encourage a brighter and healthier-looking skin.
- It’s applicable on all types of skin except sensitive, compromised, and peeling skin.
- The formula contains the Tasmanian Pepperberry – a botanical ingredient that helps prevent irritation.
- Helps in the treatment of acne scars as well as huge pores.
- Best for evening use.
- Helps peel off the top layer of dead skin, leaving your skin refreshed and feeling young.
- Helps improve one’s skin tone leaving your skin feeling smooth, radiant, and glowing.
- It’s easy to use, has positive reviews, and is remarkably effective.
- Can cause burns on areas of your face if your face is not entirely dry when applying it.
- It increases your skin’s sensitivity to the sun.
2.Kate Somerville Liquid ExfoliKate
Another at-home chemical peel that is unisex is the Kate Sommerville Liquid ExfoliKate. Besides this at-home peel, you can also get other Kate Somerville products that you can use to complement chemical peels.
- Can be used by both genders – men and women.
- It is affordable.
- This chemical peel delivers excellent chemical exfoliation and helps dissolve any dead skin cell build-up allowing for the proper absorption of other skincare products.
- Help reduce pores and improve the skin texture resulting in a much smoother skin.
- It’s in liquid form and is used by saturating it on a cotton round which helps prevent your fingers from burning.
- Assists in getting rid of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Perfect for daily use.
- It is clinically tested and is safe for people with sensitive skin.
- Helps even, brighten, and correct the tone of people with a dull skin tone.
- It helps refine the appearance of pores.
- The infused honey, tea extract, and peptides help to offset any irritation leaving the skin soothed.
- Has been tested, and it shows improvement after just one use.
- Some customers have complained that this chemical peel didn’t work for them even after frequent use.
3.Olay Vitamin C Face Mask Kit
If you are shopping around for a kit with both a scrub and a chemical peel, this Olay Vitamin C Face Mask Kit should rank high on your list. It’s not only affordable for a kit, but the 2-step kit helps improve your skin and give it the glow it needs.
- It is a two-step kit that works to eliminate dead skin cells resulting in smoother and brighter skin.
- This serum and serum duo work to revitalize your skin cells while showcasing brighter skin.
- The integrated ingredients in both the chemical peel and scrub work together to smoothen the skin, remove impurities as well as dull skin.
- Easy to use as you need to gently exfoliate your skin with the Vitamin C scrub and then massage gently with the peel activator.
- Perfect for those who want instant gratification as it works to brighten and smooth your skin with just one use.
- Get to enjoy a spa-like experience at home using this 2-kit combination.
- Works perfectly well for people with large pores.
- It’s a high-quality mask that gives a soothing and warm feeling when used.
- Good choice if you want your skin to glow.
- Not suitable for people with sensitive skin.
4.Exuviance Performance Peel AP25
Fumbling around with droppers can be quite the task especially if you are in a hurry. But these chemical peel pads from Exuviance work perfectly well to reduce pore size while leaving your skin radiant.
- Similar to other chemical peel masks, it can be used twice a week.
- It is quite effective, has positive reviews on Amazon, and is a favorite of many.
- One of the best peels that you can find in the market today.
- Begin seeing results within a month of using this chemical peel twice a week.
- Helps improve wrinkles and fine lines.
- The combination of acids – Glycolic Acid, Gluconolactone, and Mandelic Acid – work to shed off dull and dead surface layers leaving behind healthier cells.
- Clinical studies have shown that 94 percent of users got an even skin texture, tone, and radiance after one month of twice a week usage.
- This chemical peel is dye-free, paba-free, and fragrance-free hence suitable for most skin types.
- Besides the face, these Exuviance Performance chemical peel pads can be used on the neck, body, chest and the back of the hands
- It is quite expensive for just 12 chemical peel pads.
- They can easily dry out your skin hence ensure you use a quality moisturizer.
5.Glycolic Acid 30% Gel Peel
Another unisex chemical peel solution that you can consider is the Glycolic Acid 30% gel peel. It is infused with retinol, which helps re-texturize your skin and promote collagen to resolve any aging-related issues.
- The retinol integrated as part of the ingredient list for this chemical peel helps improve the texture of your skin and promotes collagen, thus addressing any aging-related issues.
- Glycolic acid works to penetrate deep into your skin, thus exfoliating any dead skin cells.
- Don’t worry about your skin drying out as it features chamomile and green tea extract, which are both soothing ingredients that provide anti-bacterial and antioxidant benefits.
- The chamomile and green tea extract also help calm and moisturize your skin.
- Helps with hyperpigmentation as it reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and uneven skin tone.
- It’s a gluten and paraben-free facial chemical peel.
- Works for most skin types as it is designed in a safe way.
- Made from powerful ingredients that work together to leave your skin healthier and softer.
- Helps improve the skin’s hydration allowing for better penetration of its different ingredients.
- If the usage instructions are not followed, it can result in a burning sensation
6.Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting Exfoliant
This chemical peel from Paula’s Choice is excellent for people dealing with stubborn acne, hormonal cysts, and blackheads. It also comes in three different sizes giving you the freedom to buy it in a size that works for you.
- Works well to get rid of hormonal cysts, stubborn acne, and blackheads.
- Helps shed off dead skin cells, unclog pores and refine the texture of your skin, leaving you with a beaming and youthful skin tone.
- Can be used daily if salicylic acid – one of the ingredients used – doesn’t irritate your skin, unlike other chemical peels that can only be used twice a week.
- Works for all skin types – combination, normal, dry, and oily.
- It’s free from any fragrance, parabens, and fluff.
- It is available in three different sizes.
- Helps to remove wrinkles. It also evens and brightens your skin tone.
- A good at-home chemical peel that combats aging, blackheads, redness, wrinkles, and enlarged pores.
- Offers a gentle chemical peel off.
- Helps hydrate the skin while improving how your pores work.
- The formulas used are backed by science, which helps target any breakouts or wrinkles.
- Not ideal for daytime use as it increases your skin’s sensitivity to the sun, thus leading to sunburn.
7.Dr. Dennis Gross Gentle Daily Peel
Many aestheticians, beauty editors, and skincare junkies can swear by the Dr. Dennis Gross Gentle Daily peel. This chemical peel is a two-step process that won’t consume your time as it’ll only take two minutes yet it delivers impressive results.
- It’s a two-step process daily peel that takes nothing more than two minutes, thus saving you time.
- The pad used in step 1 helps to unclog pores and exfoliate the skin.
- The neutralizer used in step 2 works by nourishing the skin and leaving it balanced, bright, and clear.
- It’s remarkably effective, and the results are impressive.
- Works well for people with sensitive and fragile skin.
- It’s unisex.
- The ingredients work together to shed off dead skin and impurities while enhancing your skin’s tone, hydration, and texture.
- Regular usage results in immediate radiance and a beautifully transformed skin.
- Help get rid of lines and wrinkles with the combination of three acids.
- For better results, it’s recommended for daily use.
- This product is cruelty-free, which makes it ideal for vegans.
- Dennis Gross, MD, is an established and certified dermatologist and dermatological surgeon; hence you can trust that this product has the right amounts of ingredients.
- It is expensive.
8.Glo Skin Beauty Pro 5 Liquid Exfoliant
The Glo Skin Beauty Pro 5 Liquid Exfoliant chemical peel is not only good for all skin types, it also is suitable for people whose skin is prone to acne. It is a gentle liquid that helps to smoothen and brighten one’s skin.
- It’s a gentle liquid exfoliator that helps brighten and smoothen the skin.
- It’s encouraged to be used two to three times a week for best results.
- The combination of lactic, malic, mandelic, gluconic, and tartaric acid work together to help improve and brighten the skin’s clarity.
- Designed to be applied on all skin types and tones and is best used after cleansing to help improve the effectiveness of your moisturizers and serums.
- Helps smoothen the skin, which helps in seamless makeup application.
- The polyhydroxy and alpha acids aid in reducing the appearance of pores and fine lines.
- The mandelic acid helps prevent breakouts and decongest the pores.
- This peel solution delivers results with no downtime, thus promoting a softer, clearer, and glowing skin complexion.
- Easy to use as it is lightweight like water and also has a nice dispenser,
- Some customers have complained about the smell.
- It dries the skin according to some customers.
Chemical peel solutions can be aggressive, especially if you are just starting to use one. Usually, it’s advised to get a peel solution that has a lesser acid percentage to ensure that you don’t end up with any burns or irritation. In addition, when using an acid peel off, it’s important that you follow the instructions given per product as each product is different and each has a different acid concentration.
Before settling for a chemical peel solution, it’s particularly important that you consult with your doctor or dermatologist. At-home peels can have extremely dangerous or painful side effects. Besides performing a patch test, beginners also need to dab a small part of the peel on their body and wait at least 48 hours to see how it reacts before using it on their face.
Additionally, beginners should start slow and leave the solution on the skin for a lesser amount of time than what has been advised. Also, consider spacing out the period between the chemical peels to allow your skin enough time to heal.