Finding the best moisturizer is difficult. Still, it’s not impossible to get a good moisturizer for acne-prone skin. Acne is mostly caused by too much oil that clogs the skin’s pores, most people who have acne-prone skin are always keen on getting a moisturizer that’s either oil-free or has little oil.
Moisturizing is a vital part of any skincare routine. In fact, most dermatologists believe that moisturizing, if incorporated into a skincare routine, can help soothe the skin and prevent acne. Whether your skin is oily or not, you need a moisturizer to keep your skin healthy. However, when looking for a moisturizer for acne-prone skin, it’s important to find one that is non-comedogenic and oil-free.
In this guide, we’ll take a look at the best moisturizer for dry acne-prone skin that you can get in the market today.
1. Exposed Skincare Moisture Complex
Our top pick comes from Exposed Skincare, makers of the acclaimed acne-treatment regiment which has garnered rave reviews from users and reached 98% effectiveness in acne treatment.
Their Moisture Complex is Step 4 of their wildly successful acne treatment kit, and as such it is made with acne-prone skin in mind. Using a natural combination of Pumpkin Seed, Green Tea Extract and Caffeine the oil-free moisturizer is meant to absorbs quickly without clogging pores, and gives a refreshing feeling to the skin.
Check out some of these reviews from verified customers:
“It’s so silky and my skin loves it. I always recommend it to my friends. I was in search of a great moisturizer years ago after starting on acne medication that dried my skin out horribly. Exposed Skin Care’s moisture complex has done the best job at keeping my skin from drying out while also not leaving any oily feelings. I’ve never had a moisturizer quite like this one, that is SO refreshing and my skin soaks it all up instantly. Its addicting, that’s for sure!”
Side note: If you are also on the hunt for an acne treatment, you can try the full Expanded Acne Kit from Exposed Skincare, it has the Moisture Complex in addition to 1 Acne Cleanser, 2 Serums, and a specialized Derm-X Cloth for gentle exfoliation.
The best moisturizer for acne prone skin is going to come from an acne skincare specialized company, and Exposed is the best choice by far.
2. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat Moisturizer
La Roche-Posay is Europe’s number one skincare brand. They have a wide array of skincare products that range from face wash to moisturizers. The Effaclar Mat moisturizer is non-comedogenic and oil-free, making it the perfect moisturizer for acne-prone skin.
- This moisturizer is from Europe’s number one skincare brand.
- It’s the top moisturizer among many dermatologists worldwide.
- An excellent choice for people with oily or sensitive skin.
- This moisturizer is oil-free and non-comedogenic, which makes it excellent for acne-prone skin types.
- Features the Sebulyse Technology that targets excess oil on the skin for a dual-action process.
- This moisturizer helps refine pores and mattify the skin, all while providing much-needed hydration.
- It’s an excellent base moisturizer for makeup.
- It’s gentle and can be used as a daily, mattifying oil-free moisturizer.
- Helps to visibly tighten enlarged pores thanks to the infused LHA that also helps refine skin texture, while the Zinc Pidolate neutralizes the shine.
- This moisturizer is dermatologically tested and recommended by over 90,000 dermatologists globally.
- La Roche-Posay has other skincare products that are acne-friendly and can be used alongside this moisturizer.
- Doesn’t have any UVB or UVA protection; hence users will need to layer this moisturizer with sunscreen.
3. Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Control Face Moisturizer
Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Control Moisturizer is not only non-clogging, but it is also lightweight. Moreover, it provides the needed moisture for dry acne-prone skin. It’s infused with salicylic acid, which helps prevent new breakouts while treating pre-existing breakouts.
- This is a lightweight moisturizer that is also non-clogging.
- Helps provide the needed moisture for dry acne-prone skin.
- Infused with salicylic acid, which helps treat pre-existing breakouts while preventing new ones.
- It’s a medicated acne treatment specifically formulated for acne-prone skin types.
- This moisturizer is developed for all skin types – oily, normal, and combination – thanks to its oil-free, non-greasy formula.
- Helps to keep the skin hydrated while leaving it feeling soft and smooth.
- Part moisturizer, part acne treatment, this product is formulated to aid in clearing the skin.
- Designed for daily use, which helps keep your skin healthy and prevents it from over-drying.
- Gets absorbed into the skin nicely and is perfect for people with acne-prone skin types that are looking for a moisturizer to add to their skincare routine.
- It has a light scent that is non-irritating.
- It’s quite effective and has a lot of positive reviews from past and current users.
- Can lead to bothersome peeling and dryness.
4. Simple Water Boost Hydrating Gel Cream
Simple’s gel-cream moisturizer is an excellent choice for people with dehydrated, dry, and acne-prone skin. The good thing about this cream is that it’s water-based, thanks to the gel formula, thus it is unlikely to clog your pores and cause breakouts.
- It has no fragrance and is perfect for people with sensitive, dry, and oily skin.
- It is very affordable, which makes it a great addition to your skincare routine without breaking the bank.
- Formulated with a water-based formula which means it is unlikely to cause any breakouts or clog your pores.
- Helps restore hydration to dehydrated skin, leaving you feeling supple, comfortable, and refreshed.
- Smooths away dryness and tightness while still providing your skin with long-lasting hydration.
- Quite effective and doesn’t leave the skin feeling sticky or greasy.
- It’s a lightweight gel-cream that gets absorbed easily into the skin, leaving it feeling smooth, silky, supple, and refreshed.
- It’s infused with a plant extract and minerals to keep the skin refreshed and hydrated.
- Does not contain any artificial colors, harsh chemicals, or perfume.
- Uses a nice and simple formula that is suitable for acne prone skin.
- Should be used in small amounts as large amounts cause the skin to appear greasy.
5. TULA Probiotic Skin Care Oil-Free Gel Cream
TULA Probiotic gel-cream is another excellent gel-cream that boasts a more sophisticated formula that matches the price tag. This moisturizer is infused with natural ingredients such as fermented rice water that helps congested pores that have become enlarged.
- Similar to the Simple cream, this product is also a gel-cream, which means it is lightweight.
- Works effectively leaving the skin feeling revived, quenched, and dewy.
- Designed without any heaviness or oils, thus delivering all the benefits without any weight whatsoever hence ideal for problematic, combination, dehydrated, sensitive, and dry skin types.
- Reduces the appearance of irritation and redness, leaving your skin hydrated.
- It’s an effective moisturizer that is clean and clinically proven.
- TULA is a leading brand in probiotic skincare. It uses powerful skin superfoods and probiotics for a balanced, healthy, and glowing skin.
- It’s formulated using a blend of natural ingredients such as fermented rice water that help reduce congested, enlarged pores. Its prickly pear extract soothes the skin and reduces inflammation and redness.
- TULA has a 30-day worry-free return policy.
- The plant-based formulation helps to keep the skin moisturized for up to 72 hours.
- It is non-greasy, oil-free, and lightweight.
- For the packaging, this moisturizer is expensive.
6. Mario Badescu Oil-Free Moisturizer
This Mario Badescu Oil moisturizer has specifically been formulated for people with acne-prone skin. This product has been developed to give your skin the much-needed daily broad-spectrum protection as well as to provide lasting hydration.
- Features SPF 30, which helps protect your skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays that tend to darken acne scars or age your complexion.
- It’s non-clogging as it’s oil-free, which means you don’t have to worry about your skin getting clogged.
- Primary ingredients include aloe vera, green tea, and St. John’s wort that help reduce inflammation and soothe the skin.
- This moisturizer is a broad spectrum moisturizer, is oil-free, and lightweight.
- Guaranteed that your skin won’t feel greasy after application as it’s easy to use.
- The infused green tea extract also offers powerful antioxidant protection from free radical damage.
- It’s a good choice for people with acne-prone skin who also battle other skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis.
- One can apply it as a base for makeup.
- You only need small amounts when applying, which ensures that the bottle can last you a long time.
- Infused with fragrance hence may not be ideal for people with extremely sensitive skin or skin that reacts negatively to perfume.
7. CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30
Another non-comedogenic, fragrance-free and oil-free moisturizer is the CeraVe AM Facial moisturizer lotion that also offers SPF protection. It is also infused with hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and niacinamide, which keeps the skin hydrated while reducing inflammation that is related to acne or acne treatments.
- It is affordable and offers the much-needed moisture for your skin during the day as it is an AM moisturizer.
- Helps restore the skin’s protective barrier.
- Designed with SPF 30, which helps protect your skin from UVA/UVB rays.
- It’s formulated with hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and niacinamide, which helps the skin stay hydrated while also reducing skin inflammation.
- It spreads easily on the skin, is soaked up easily, and doesn’t leave a greasy feeling.
- It’s oil-free, which means it can be used daily as the last part of your morning skincare routine.
- Features MVE Technology that delivers all-day hydration to your skin.
- The infused ceramides help maintain and restore the skin’s natural barrier.
- Besides being oil-free, this moisturizer is also non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, and paraben-free.
- Suitable for acne-prone skin, sensitive skin, dry skin, and oily skin.
- Designed with a gentle, non-irritating formula.
- Some users have complained that it leaves behind some residue.
8. Neutrogena Oil-Free Facial Moisturizer
Hardly will a Neutrogena product miss in any review for acne-prone skin. Neutrogena is the number one brand recommended by dermatologists, and this moisturizer is not only non-comedogenic, it’s also lightweight and alcohol-free.
- Number one brand recommended by dermatologists worldwide.
- This moisturizer is alcohol-free, lightweight, fragrance-free, and non-comedogenic, which means it won’t irritate any acne-inflamed skin and can keep it moisturized for up to 12 hours.
- It is affordable and comes in two different sizes.
- Excellent moisturizing cream for people with dry skin as well as other skin types.
- Infused with SPF 15, which helps protect your skin from the sun’s rays, while the incorporated glycerin helps to smoothen and soften your skin.
- As a broad-spectrum moisturizer, this Neutrogena facial cream also prevents any premature signs of skin aging that might be caused by the sun.
- Clinically proven to combine sun protection and long-lasting moisturization resulting in skin that is clean, soft, and smooth.
- Can be used as a stand-alone facial cream or can also be worn under makeup.
- Has an easy sheer formula that absorbs into the skin quickly.
- This moisturizer is also dye-free and hypoallergenic.
- Some users have complained that it causes the skin to burn and it has a strong smell.
9. Tatcha The Water Cream
Now, if you’re looking for a luxurious moisturizer for acne-prone skin and you don’t have any hesitations about the price tag, then this product is for you. It’s an excellent oil-free moisturizer for pure poreless skin.
- Suitable for people with a combination of oily skin types.
- It’s oil-free, non-irritating, non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, and non-sensitizing.
- It’s dermatologically tested and is also cruelty-free, which makes it ideal for vegans.
- Formulated without synthetic fragrances, mineral oil, parabens, sulfate, detergents, urea, phthalates, TEA, or DEA.
- This cream features a burst of powerful botanicals, skin-enhancing Japanese nutrients, and optimal hydration resulting in pure, poreless skin.
- This water-burst cream breaks evenly when applied to deeply deliver its treatment benefits.
- Hydrates the skin without allowing it to feel greasy or sticky.
- Helps to refine and clarify the skin thanks to the powerful Japanese Wild Rose that helps to smooth the skin texture and visibly tighten pores.
- The infused Japanese Leopard Lily aids in controlling excess oil and stir up natural skin turnover.
- The Hadasei-3 – a blend of rice, green tea, and algae – helps to restore youthful, radiant skin that is healthy-looking.
- Delivers a shine-free glow that is subtle.
- It is a luxurious moisturizer, so it’s expensive.
Fighting acne can be quite the task. Considering that most acne treatments – from face wash to moisturizers – can cause your skin to dry out, it’s important that you find a moisturizer that won’t leave your skin dry but will still get the job done. Therefore, it’s all about balance when it comes to choosing a moisturizer for acne-prone skin that’s either dehydrated or dry.
An ideal guideline is to make sure that the formula in your moisturizer has acne-fighting ingredients such as salicylic acid. It should also have hydration, such as hyaluronic acid. If it has AHAs, ensure that it also has antioxidants. Lean towards creams or lotions that are lightweight and not greasy or thick. Water-based gel-cream is also better. Sincw alcohol causes your skin to dry, ensure your moisturizer doesn’t contain alcohol.