One of the most common types or forms of acne is blackheads. While anyone can get blackheads, people who have oily skin tend to be more vulnerable than others. Blackheads result from pores getting clogged by a mix of excess oil (sebum) and dead skin cells produced from the sebaceous glands.
Unlike whiteheads that build up from closed pores, blackheads usually have an open surface that comes from oxidation. While it’s usually very tempting to push or pinch the plug out, you’ll only end up causing more damage or scarring to your skin. But all hope is not lost. There are a lot of over-the-counter as well as prescribed treatments that you can use to treat blackheads.
In this guide, we’ll take a look at some of the best treatment for blackheads. Read on to find out more.
1.Murad Clarifying Cleanser
The Murad Clarifying cleanser is a good anti-acne facial cleanser that helps clear any current blemishes while also preventing future breakouts. It’s infused with salicylic acid — a must-have ingredient in any treatment meant for blackheads.
- Works by clearing existing blemishes as well as prevent any future breakouts.
- Infused with green tea which helps soothe the skin. Meanwhile, salicylic acid provides the needed treatment for your skin even hours after rinsing.
- It’s available in three different sizes.
- It’s a cruelty-free product, which makes it safe for vegans looking for the best treatment for blackheads.
- Helps reduce the gravity of acne all while allowing the skin to heal.
- Besides helping soothe the skin, the infused green tea also helps give your skin a healthy look.
- This product has undergone clinical-dermatological evaluation in an internal testing facility.
- This cleanser has been formulated without any sulfates, parabens, gluten, phthalates, mineral oil, and animal-derived ingredients, among others.
- Murad has other skincare products that can be used together with this cleanser.
- Works well for oily and combination skin types.
- It’s an oil-free cleanser that works well for people with blackheads.
- It’s slightly expensive and doesn’t work for all types of skin.
2.Fresh Umbrian Clay Purifying Mask
When it comes to treating blackheads, there is no one-size-fits-all. The Fresh Umbrian Clay purifying mask is an excellent mask for anyone who wants to help clear away blackheads.
- This mask not only works as a purifying mask but also as a pore-reducing treatment and as a deep cleanser for daily use.
- It helps purify, clarify, and balance the complexion of the skin.
- Made with exclusive Umbrian Clay that is rich in minerals.
- Excellent purifying mask for people with normal and oily skin types.
- Infused with lavender water and chamomile flower to soothe the skin, as well as sandalwood oil that helps calm the skin.
- Works by mattifying the skin without drying out its complexion. It lessens the appearance of any pores.
- Leaves the skin feeling soft and clean.
- The tin packaging means that there won’t be any mess created.
- This mask has received lots of positive reviews from past and current customers.
- It’s durable and can last a while if used sparingly.
- As a clay mask, it helps absorb oil from your skin, thus helping in the prevention of blackheads.
- It’s awfully expensive even though it works great.
3.ProactivMD Daily Oil Control SPF 30 & Adapalene Duo
If you are looking for an oil- and fragrance-free treatment for your blackheads, you can’t go wrong with the ProactivMD Daily Oil Control SPF 30 & Adapalene Duo. This product is also the first FDA-approved OTC topical retinoid for the treatment of acne.
- It’s favored and has received positive reviews from dermatologists from across the globe for many decades.
- It’s the first FDA- approved over-the-counter topical retinoid treatment for blackheads.
- Clinically proven and works excellently for clearing blackheads.
- Results can easily be visible in as little as just two weeks; however, for consistent results, it is advisable to use it daily for up to three months.
- Can be used simultaneously with other moisturizers and sunscreen
- Adapalene works great behind the scenes to clear clogged pores.
- Help prevent future breakouts as well as reduce existing blemishes.
- The Daily Oil Control Moisturizer -SPF 30 – helps protect, hydrate, and control your skin’s shine.
- This product needs a prescription, which means you can purchase it over-the-counter.
- The Daily Oil Control SPF 30 helps protect your skin from the ultra-violet rays of the sun.
- If used sparingly, this product can last up to 90 days.
- Can cause redness, dryness, and irritation when first used.
If you aren’t keen on making frequent trips to your pharmacy to get an OTC treatment for your blackheads, this Differin acne treatment is perfect for you. It not only helps clear blackheads, it can also last up to 90-days.
- Works by clearing breakouts from the source (deep inside the pores) while also preventing the formation of new acne.
- Help restores the tone and texture of your skin.
- Works by targeting the two leading causes of acne – inflammation and clogged pores – thus reviving skin cell turnover.
- Can be used effectively daily – both morning and evening – as part of your skincare routine thanks to its superior tolerability.
- Formulated using a water-based formula and it’s also non-comedogenic, oil-free, fragrance-free, and alcohol-free.
- Treats blackheads by helping decrease hyperpigmentation as well as the risk of scarring.
- A clinical study has shown that the gel provides up to 87 percent of reduced acne lesions with consistent use after three months.
- Helps blemishes heal quickly without causing your skin to dry.
- Differin has other products that can be used alongside this treatment.
- Although it’s effective, the results aren’t immediate hence not suitable for people who want immediate results.
5.Proactiv Green Tea and Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer
This Proactiv moisturizer is a good choice for anyone looking to treat blackheads. This is specifically formulated for acne-prone skin types. Best part is that it’s a lightweight moisturizer which is preferred by people with acne-prone skin.
- It’s a lightweight moisturizer that was specifically formulated for acne-prone skin.
- It’s an oil-free moisturizer that is infused with rich botanical extracts and minerals such as green tea – a potent antioxidant that keeps the skin hydrated without clogging the pores.
- Infused with hyaluronic acid, which helps maintain your skin’s hydration as it’s able to attract water to the skin as well as act as a magnet for moisture.
- Formulated to deliver hydration to both acne-prone and dry skin.
- Helps rejuvenate tired-looking and dull skin thanks to it being a lightweight moisturizer.
- You can trust the product as Proactiv is the company that created a skincare revolution.
- Can be used alongside Proactiv’s Daily Oil Control SPF 30 that helps protect you from the ultraviolet rays as well as absorb the oil from your skin, leaving it shiny.
- Proactive products are dermatologist-developed, which guarantees their effectiveness.
- Can be used daily and can also be applied under makeup.
- Might not work for all skin types.
6.Neutrogena SkinClearing Oil-Free Liquid Foundation
Neutrogena’s SkinClearing Oil-Free liquid foundation is a perfect addition to your skincare routine if you’re dealing with blackheads. This foundation is infused with salicylic acid acne medication that helps fight blackhead breakouts as well as provide relief.
- Infused with salicylic acne medication that helps fight blackhead development as well as provide fast relief.
- It’s hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, and is also oil-free.
- It’s available in different colors – 12 different shades – to suit your skin texture.
- Designed for acne-prone skin, which makes it the first and only makeup foundation that features MicroClear technology that helps prevent new breakouts and treats existing blemishes.
- The MicroClear technology helps unclog pores for speedy results.
- This liquid foundation gives a breathable and natural coverage while also controlling the shine of your skin.
- It has been developed by dermatologists, which means you are guaranteed of its effectiveness.
- Can be used alongside other Neutrogena SkinClearing products for that perfect result.
- Quite effective for use on sensitive skin as well as for oily-combination skin types.
- Clinical tests on women who used this showed improved skin over time.
- Because it is a liquid foundation, it also helps cover blackheads.
- Some customers have complained that it didn’t conceal their blackheads.
7.Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen
Another excellent sunscreen choice for people dealing with blackheads is this Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid Lotion sunscreen. Coming from a well-trusted brand in the beauty skincare field, you can be sure of its effectiveness.
- Specifically designed for people with acne-prone skin.
- It’s a liquid sunscreen that can be used on both the face and body.
- Features the Helioplex technology and is infused with the active ingredient, avobenzone, which gives superior UVA/UVB protection.
- Neutrogena is the number one sunscreen lotion recommended by dermatologists.
- It has a water-light texture that leaves the skin with a weightless, matte finish.
- When used, this sunscreen allows the skin to breathe, all while keeping away any undesired skin problems.
- Features a lightweight, non-comedogenic, and oil-free formula that has been dermatologically tested.
- Suitable for people who suffer from blackheads as it doesn’t cause the pores to clog. It also prevents breakouts thanks to the formula used.
- This sunscreen is waterproof for up to 80 minutes and is also fragrance-free.
- Quite effective in keeping your skin protected, especially for any outdoor activities.
- Designed to prevent sunburns without causing any breakouts or aggravate existing ones.
- Some customers have experienced chemical burns and stinging eyes after use.
8.Cetaphil Waterproof Makeup Remover
A good part of taking care of your skin if you have blackheads is to invest in a good makeup remover. As stated earlier, blackheads thrive because of clogged pores. This Cetaphil waterproof makeup remover is a perfect addition to your collection of treatments for blackheads.
- It is affordable and durable.
- Effectively removes any stubborn oil, makeup, and impurities all while soothing your skin.
- Infused with aloe vera that helps treat dry skin as well as blackheads.
- Formulated with green tea that helps calm the skin and ginseng that reduces inflammation.
- Works by leaving the eye area feeling refreshed and clean with zero oil residue.
- This makeup remover has been ophthalmologically and dermatologically tested, meaning it can be used around the delicate eye area as well as all over the face.
- It’s a fragrance-free makeup remover that is also non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic.
- It can easily dissolve all types of makeup, including waterproof makeup leaving your skin smooth and clean.
- Doesn’t clog pores or irritate the skin.
- Works well for all types of skin, sensitive skin included.
- It’s a cruelty-free product as Cetaphil doesn’t test its products on animals.
- Can be applied with a variety of other Cetaphil skincare products.
- There is no stopper between the cap and bottle, which can lead to overuse.
Treating blackheads, like any other form of acne, requires the right amount of patience. While most of these products have been tried and tested, it doesn’t mean there is a one-size-fits-all solution. That means that while one product might work for you, it may not necessarily work for someone else. As such, it’s important to check with your dermatologists before buying any of these products over-the-counter.
It’s also important to check the ingredients used and ensure that you aren’t allergic to any. Any new blackheads treatment might need about six to 12 weeks before you can start seeing any major results. However, if you continue witnessing more blackheads after this period, it may be time to stop and go back to your dermatologist. In case you experience any major breakouts, burns, or skin irritation, it’s always advisable to stop the treatment immediately before the damage becomes severe.