If you’ve done any Googling about the causes of acne, you may have come across the statement that dairy/milk products can be a contributing factor when it comes to acne…
Do you consume dairy/milk products regularly? Then keep reading…
Dairy/Milk products can cause acne for multiple different reasons. Here are a few reasons why:
- There is a growth hormone in milk called IGF-1, this hormone is not good for humans. IGF-1 is one of the several contributing factors to inflammation. The inflammation that it causes, eventually leads to the redness and swelling of acne. It also just so happens that milk is extremely abundant in this hormone.
- Dairy/Milk products actually cause your insulin levels to spike. This leads to your liver producing more IGF-1.
- Dairy causes you to produce more sebum (oil), which leads to clogged pores. Clogged pores are a safe haven for P. Acnes Bacteria. P. Acnes Bacteria are the actual bacteria that produce acne. So you definitely don’t want the P. Acnes Bacteria multiplying.
So to answer the question, “Does Dairy/Milk Cause Acne?”
YES! It is a fact.
We understand that cutting out all dairy/milk can be extremely hard because they’re used in tons of things! But if you are strong-willed you can cut out dairy… you can do it!
You can either try eliminating it out of your diet completely, or you can ease your way out of it. If you are easing your way out of dairy/milk products and you don’t see any results, just start cutting them out more and more. Whichever way you choose, you should start to see your skin clear up!
If you absolutely need milk in your life, try these two alternatives:
- Unsweetened, organic almond milk.
- Unsweetened, organic coconut milk.
Bottom line is this, dairy/milk products most definitely CAN cause acne. However, there are also many contributing factors to acne. Although cutting dairy/milk products out of your diet may clear your skin and decrease your acne, it is not a definite remedy.
Just be conscious with what you are putting into your body!